Principal Financial Group®
We help people and companies in Asia, Australia, Europe, Latin America, and North America build and protect their financial well-being. We’ve been doing it for 140 years.
A FORTUNE 500® company, we’re known for our innovative ideas and real-life solutions that help customers make financial progress, no matter their income or portfolio size.
And while we have employees around the world, we’re all bound by a common purpose: to give you the financial tools, resources, and information you need so you can live the life you want.
What’s most important to us …
- Meet the needs of our 24 million customers, who rely on our expertise in retirement, insurance and asset management.
- Attract, develop and retain the best people in the business, offering them a diverse and inclusive work environment in offices in 25 nations and territories.
- Give back to the communities where our employees live and work, supporting programs that help people learn more, earn more, and save more.
- Deliver value for our shareholders, who have placed their trust in us (Nasdaq: PFG).
$696.2 billion – Total assets under management
$1.5 billion – Net income attributable to Principal
Financial Strength Ratings for Principal
Life Insurance Company and Principal National Life Insurance Company
“A+” Superior – A.M. Best Company: second highest of 13 rating levels
(AA-) Very strong – Fitch: fourth highest of 19 rating levels
(A1) Good – Moody’s Investors Service: fifth highest of 21 rating levels
(A+) Strong – S&P Global: fifth highest of 20 rating levels
More than 16,000 employees worldwide
More than 10,000 employees in the U.S
Industry leadership – Recognition
- 219th on Fortune magazine’s list of the Largest 500 Corporations based on revenues. (May 2019)
- Ranked 404th on the Forbes Global 2000 list, which recognizes the world’s biggest and most powerful companies, as measured by a composite ranking for sales, profits, assets and market value. (May 2019)
- A member of the Standard & Poor’s (S&P) 500® since July 2002.
Retirement and Income Solutions
- Received strong industry ratings in the 2018 Retirement Plan Advisor Survey conducted by PLANADVISER. We ranked as a top 10 provider for service to micro, small, mid, large, and mega plans, value for price, fee structure for advisors and participant educational services. (October 2018)
- Received a “Best in Class” ranking for our service team and a 95 percent overall satisfaction score in the 2017 Chatham Partners Client Satisfaction Survey of defined benefit and defined contribution plans with more than $50 million in assets. (January 2018)
• Together, Principal Chile and Cuprum are ranked as the No. 1 provider of voluntary pension in Chile (SVS,SP September 2018)
• Brasilprev, Principal’s joint venture with Banco do Brasil, is ranked as the No. 1 pension provider in Brazil (Fenaprevi, September 2018)
• Principal AFORE is ranked as the 5th largest pension provider in Mexico (CONSAR, September 2018)
• Cuprum (Chile) is one of the most innovative companies in the country, according to the 2018 Best Place to Innovate rankings. Cuprum was the only AFP out of 50 companies in 13 industries to receive this recognition, which is based on a
perception study prepared by GFK Adimark and the Adolfo Ibanez University (UAI) Business School. (October 2018)
• Brasilprev was recognized, for the third year in a row and sixth time in history, as one of the 150 best companies to work for by Você S/A magazine. (November 2018)
Principal Global Investors
- Top 20 manager of U.S. institutional tax-exempt assets managed internally. Assets as of Dec. 31, 2018. “Largest Money Managers,” Pensions &
Investments. (May 2019)
- The 2nd largest manager of REIT assets. Managers ranked by U.S. institutional, tax-exempt assets as of Dec. 31, 2018 for the “Largest Money Managers,” Pensions & Investments. (May 2019)
- Received strong scores in environmental, social and governance (ESG) based on the 2019 Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) Pilot Assessment
Report. The score for Overall Approach was an A (on a scale of A+ to E). (July 2019)
- CCB Principal Asset Management, Principal’s joint venture with China Construction Bank, is ranked as the No. 3 largest mutual fund retail provider in China. (AMAC, September 2018)
- Principal Hong Kong is ranked as the No. 6 largest Mandatory Provident Fund provider in Hong Kong. (Mercer, September 2018)
- CIMB-Principal Asset Management, our joint venture with CIMB Group ranked No. 2 in the Malaysian unit trust market. (Lipper, November 2018)
- Southeast Asia joint venture CIMB-Principal Islamic Asset Management was recognized as the Best Asset Manager at the Islamic Business & Finance Southeast Asia Awards. (December 2018)
- China joint venture CCBP Principal Asset Management won the 2018 Golden Fund Company Award by Shanghai Securities Newspaper (May 2018) and was named Best Fixed Income Fund Manager by China Fund Newspaper (March 2018)
- Principal Hong Kong received a Gold Award in the category of Finance and Insurance during the Mystery Caller Assessment Awards organized by the Hong Kong Call Centre Association. The award recognizes the excellence of the company’s customer service representatives and acknowledges its commitment to outstanding customer service. (November 2018)
U.S. Insurance Solutions
- In the top five companies surveyed in terms of total individual disability insurance premium5, and recently surpassed $500 million of in-force premium.
- The No. 1 non-qualified deferred compensation provider based on total number of Section 409A plans, according to PlanSponsor’s 2018 NQDC Recordkeeping Survey. (June 2018)
- The No. 3 provider of group benefits (dental, life and disability) insurance based on 2017 LIMRA data on fully insured employer contracts in force. (May 2018)
- The No. 3 provider of non-cancelable individual disability income insurance based on 2017 LIMRA data of annualized new sale premium. (February 2018)
- The No. 18 provider of individual life insurance based on 2017 LIMRA data on total life new sales premium. (February 2018)
- Named a CDP Climate Performance leader and a CDP Climate Disclosure leader for our commitment to improving our impact on the environment. (January 2019)
- Ranked No. 54 on Forbes and JUST Capital’s list of America’s Most JUST Companies. (December 2018)
- Recognized by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers. (April 2019)
- Principal, a global investment management leader, earned a spot among the top 7 companies with 1,000 or more employees in Pensions &
Investments’ annual list of the Best Places to Work in Money Management. (December 2018)
- One of 100 companies to be named one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies by the Ethisphere Institute, which recognizes organizations that
have had a material impact on the way business is conducted by fostering a culture of ethics and transparency at every level of the company. This
is the ninth year Principal has been recognized by Ethisphere. (February 2019)
- Recognized by Working Mother as one of the 2018 Working Mother 100 Best Companies. (September 2018)
- Ranked No. 5 on Forbes list of Best Employers for Women (July 2019) and 55th on the list of America’s Best Employers for Diversity. (January 2019)
- Recognized by IDG’s Computerworld as one of its 100 Best Places to Work in IT for 18 consecutive years, ranking 21st for 2018. (June 2019)
- Scored 100 out of 100 on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation Corporate Equality Index for support of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer equality in the workplace. (March 2019)
- Brasilprev was ranked on the the top 150 companies to work for in Brazil by Você SIA Magazine. (November 2018)
- Named to Fortune Top 50 Best Places to Work for Giving Back. (February 2018)
1-800-986-3343 | principal.com
- Net income attributable to Principal Financial Group of $1,509.0 million adjusted for net realized (gains) losses of $115.7 million equals non-GAAP operating earnings of $1,624.7 million.
- Net income return on average equity including accumulated other comprehensive income of 11.8% adjusted for net unrealized capital (gains) losses of 1.4%, net unrecognized post-retirement benefit obligation of (0.5)%, and net realized capital (gains) losses of 0.9% equals non-GAAP operating ROE of 13.6%.
3 Non-GAAP operating earnings return on equity (ROE) equals trailing twelve months non-GAAP operating earnings divided by average stockholders’ equity available to common stockholders excluding accumulated other comprehensive income (loss) other than foreign currency translation adjustment.
4 Information as of July 2019. Our ratings reflect each rating agency’s opinion of our financial strength, operating performance and ability to meet our obligations to policyholders and are not evaluations directed toward the protection of investors. Such ratings are neither a rating of securities nor a recommendation to buy, hold or sell any security, including our common stock.
5 Principal is 5th out of 19 companies surveyed, based on self-reported in-force individual disability insurance premium, according to LIMRA’s 2017 Annual Sales and In-Force Survey. This applies to Principal Life Insurance Company.
6 Principal Life Insurance Company, April 2019, internal company data.
Insurance products and services from the Principal Financial Group® (Principal®) are issued by Principal National Life Insurance Company (except in New York) and Principal Life Insurance Company, Des Moines, Iowa 50392. Securities offered through Principal Securities, Inc., 800-247-1737, member SIPC. Banking products offered through Principal Bank, member FDIC. Principal National, Principal Life, Principal Securities and Principal Bank are members of the Principal Financial Group, Des Moines, Iowa 50392.
DD730-87 | Q22019 | 925007-082019 | © Principal Financial Services, Inc. “Principal,” “Principal Financial Group” are registered service marks.